Wednesday 16 March 2011

Product Review - Drink Me Chai Vanilla

In the course of my daily ‘comping’ on Twitter at the start of the year, I came across a competition for Drink Me Chai.  As is often the case with competitions, I enter them, follow the competition runner and do not think very much of it beyond that!  However, Drink Me Chai also tweeted about the opportunity to try their product for free.  I saw lots of people requesting a sample and despite not knowing or bothering at the time to find out about it, I joined the bandwagon and blindly requested a sample!  A week later, I received a sample of Drink Me Chai ‘Vanilla’ in the post and finally decided to look into what I was about to sample.

On its website, Drink Me Chai states that its product is a ‘...lusciously sweet, exotic blend of spices, tea and skimmed milk....based on the original ‘latte’ invented in India more than 5,000 years ago’.  This had me rather intrigued.  My theory is that if such a concept has survived for so long, there must be something to it.  The product was created by Amanda Hamilton who, having discovered chai in India, wanted to develop it so that it would remain authentic to its roots, yet suit the palette of the UK market.  After starting her venture six years ago, Amanda can now boast to being the founder of the number one instant chai company in the UK, supplying most of the UK’s top supermarkets and coffee chains.  Impressed by both the product concept and the growth of this British company, I was really eager to try it.
Vanilla Chai, available in 250g or 1kg tubs
On opening the packet, I was immediately struck by the indulgent creaminess of vanilla and cinnamon.  I tried it in its most simple form – by adding hot water into a mug with the sample serving (which is 4 teaspoons).  That delightful sweet, creamy scent increased three-fold on adding the hot water!  I took my first sip and my initial reaction was that it has the consistency of tea but with a taste not unlike hot chocolate.  It certainly tastes as creamy as it smells.   The vanilla is quite strong but without being so overbearing that one cannot taste the accompaniment of the cinnamon.  In short, I was really impressed and knew I would be hooked.  In fact, I popped into my local Tesco the next day to buy a tub!

When I brought the Drink Me Chai home, I asked my partner to try it.  At work, he is a coffee fiend - normally numbering eight cups with two sugars a day!  I wondered how someone of his beverage persuasion would respond to Drink Me Chai.  He also loved it - so much so that he has bought a tub that he keeps at work.   I am glad to know to his caffeine levels are being decreased by substituting a couple of cups of coffee with an indulgent mug of Drink Me Chai, which is 99% caffeine free.
Personally, I like to have Drink Me Chai either mid-afternoon, when I start craving something sweet or last thing at night, when I want a warm drink to help me relax.  I find it works especially well in the afternoon as it saves me dipping into the cookie jar! 
The standard tub size in Tesco’s is £2.28 and provides approximately 10 servings.  This may seem a little dear but first of all, if you look at its calorific and fat value (111 calories and 4.2grams fat per serving), it is certainly not intended to be drunk multiple times a day.  Secondly, if you compare the price of a mug of Drink Me Chai against the purchase of a Latte in well-known coffee houses, 23p a cup is an extremely attractive price.  In fact, it is a tenth of the price.  Therefore, I consider it good value for money.
A lovely chai latte
In fact, not only does Drink Me Chai offer good value for money - it can also be used in different ways too.  In the coming spring days, if you fancy something a little cooler, you can make up a Vanilla Chai Milkshake.  However, if you are more of a ‘Latte Lovely’, you can go all cosmopolitan and make up a Chai Latte!!  If you need more inspiration though, Drink Me Chai will send you a free recipe booklet to broaden your chai repertoire – just contact them at info@drinkmechai.co.uk
I can safely say that I am a chai convert, and I am looking forward to sampling the other flavours in the Drink Me Chai range: Spiced (regular and fair-trade), Peppermint, Mango and Chocolate. 


Drink Me Chai (Vanilla) £2.28 for 250 grams, available at Tesco, Waitrose and Ocado
Drink Me Chai (Spiced) £2.03 for 250 grams, available at Waitrose, Ocado, Asda and Sainsbury’s
The complete range (including the 1kg tub) is available at http://www.discountcoffee.co/ but the prices are steeper, so be warned.

1 comment:

  1. i love this .... i am sooo hooked on this drink i drink it sometimes 3 times a day and thats just me saying save some for tomorrow cause the bottle small.

    The best thing from drinking it i dont feel bloated or nothing

    ReplyDelete